Abbotsford Children’s Theatre (ACT) is committed to providing the opportunity for children and youth to develop and advance their artistic abilities in all aspects of the theatre, in a safe and positive learning environment.
- ACT is a registered non-profit group.
- ACT welcomes thespians ages 10 – 18 years of age to audition to be part of the cast!
- Fall Show rehearsals are on Saturday mornings (8:45 am – Noon) and are held at the Matsqui Centennial Auditorium which is located at 32315 S. Fraser Way (beside City Hall).
- Spring Show rehearsals are on Saturday mornings (9 am – Noon) and are held at the Abbotsford Arts Addition which is located at 2329 Crescent Way (next to the Abbotsford Arts Centre).
- Extra rehearsals are added as required and the week before the show involves daily rehearsals.
- Productions are geared to young audiences and are family friendly.
- Auditions are open to everyone. (Look under Auditions on the Website)
- ACT has fee requirements if you are cast in a production.
- ACT performs for the community and for school audiences (Fall show only).
- ACT welcomes new members.
ACT is a registered non-profit group and as such we are responsible for all of our rental & production costs for each show. There is a fee to join ACT. The current fee is $200.00 per actor, per show (2017/18 Season). Fees are due at the first parent meeting in September (for the December show) and the first parent meeting in January (for the April show).
Our actors will be asked to sign a Code of Conduct. This will be handed out at your first rehearsal and kept with your script. Respect for all, a good attitude and being responsible for your behaviour at rehearsals are a part of the ACT Code.
Parent meetings are held once a month, attendance is mandatory. This is a good way for families to find out about ACT and keep the communication lines open.
Production help is always needed. We ask all parents to assist ACT and at the same time be a part of their child’s involvement in the show. There will be an opportunity to sign up for production areas like set, costumes, props, PR, rehearsal supervision and other areas in September and January. We ask each family to provide a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer time in a production area as well as time during the shows and during clean up after our last performance.
Attendance is extremely important at all rehearsals and we do not give permission to miss rehearsals. Our production time is about 12 weeks from first rehearsal to Performance week.
- Arrive on time and attend all rehearsals.
- Bring your script and a pencil to each rehearsal and write down notes from Director.
- Dress appropriately for freedom of movement and wear running shoes or dance shoes.
- Be prepared for rehearsals by learning lines and reviewing notes/blocking.
- Be respectful of all actors, production crew and parent helpers.
- Bring water and snacks to rehearsals.
- Help create a positive atmosphere by supporting others in thought, word and deed.
- Remember to communicate with parents & family…they are your biggest fans!
- Ensure that actors are on time for rehearsals & productions.
- Attend parent meetings and ACT Annual General Meeting.
- Pay fees at the first parent meeting.
- Complete a medical form for your child(ren).
- Help by volunteering some time/expertise during rehearsals; performances and clean up (strike set).
- Actors need support and encouragement during the production process.
- Communicate with ACT Directors and Board members.
- ACT will thrive with positive support and encouragement from parents